20 June 2013

Get a Clue with Nancy Drew

I discovered the Nancy Drew when I was in 2nd grade.  Each week we had a library day and I would immediately go to the shelf and choose 2 to take home.  Once home I read them voraciously.  I wanted to be Nancy Drew--she was smart, independent, and quite handy. I read every book in the series multiple times. My parents would buy me the antique blue spine ones for birthdays & Christmas. I even have one that my grandmother saved from her childhood!

These area few of  my older copies.   My kids, including my son, love to read them. They have all the yellow spined ones in their rooms.


 As a poor college student in 1995 I spent $38 of my grocery money on a first edition Nancy Drew with a near mint dust jacket.
It's priceless to me. I worked 2 jobs AND went to college full time. I had to pay my own way--rent, tuition, bills. That book was a small pleasure in my hectic life, especially since I ate ramen noodles for 2 weeks after buying it.  

To my delight, Moda released a line of Nancy Drew fabric. It's a lovely collection of silhouettes, end papers, book spines and magnifying glasses.
I have always loved the end papers inside the covers of the books. Having it printed as fabric is that much sweeter!

I only discovered the fabric last week even though it was released in January. To my dismay, the line is nearly sold out!  I have managed to purchase a fat quarter bundle with all the fabrics, and some yardage of a couple favorites.
Fat quarter bundle, yardage & panel with covers.
As soon as my planned projects are complete (purse, overnight bag, quilt) I may try to get a layer cake or charm pack. I would have made a skirt, but none of the fabric screamed "wear me!"  I did see a skirt made with the book cover panel, but I wouldn't wear it regularly. 

The Projects
I'm planning to use the book spine fabric for the Katie Boston Bag, with the "end papers" fabric as the lining. I'm also going to make an Amy Butler Weekender Bag with either the faces of Nancy or the book spines. 

The other project will be a quilt to snuggle under while reading my books. The kids like the quilt project best since it's the one they'll get to use!   The designs for the fabric needed a quilt to show off the variety. I chose this quilt, from an etsy seller.  

I haven't figured out a way to use the panel with the book covers yet. I've found a few ideas online, but no one project is calling me yet.  I may make totes for the kids with the panels and the magnifying glass fabric.

As soon as VBS is over, it's time for a sew-fest.  My quilting machine is in the shop--timing went out & the needle hits the bobbin case.  Fortunately I have another machine that I can use for piecing quilts or sewing clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment